-River Basin Section “Cuenca”
Created in 2016, this section of the Environmental International Film Festival of Mexico, Cinema Planeta, supports the cinematographic production of works made in the Balsas River Basin. Production of the documentaries should be located in the following states: Tlaxcala, Puebla, Oaxaca, Morelos, Guerrero, Michoacán, the State of Mexico or Jalisco. Works produced between 2017 – 2019 will be accepted in this call and should address environmental issues in a broad sense, including the relationship between human beings and their environment. Winner will receive all money collected from a crowdfunding campaign, typically around 20,000 Mexican pesos/1000 USD.
1. For the official selection feature documentary films, productions from 2017-2019, concerning a wide range of environmental topics, will be considered.
2. Submitted films should not have been previously commercially exhibited in Mexico.
3. The submission deadline for the competition selection is Monday, December 31st, 2018.
4. All material must be presented in its original version, with subtitles in Spanish or English.
5. The final display formats are: DCP*, BluRay, QT H.264 or Apple ProRes. Any other format will need a special authorization.
*If it is a DCP format, you will also need to send a BluRay for display in rooms that do not have DCP compliant equipment.
6. The Festival will use film stills and short clips from the movies for promotion.
7. The selected films will compete for the following awards:
A).- JURY PRIZE FOR BEST INTERNATIONAL FILM (50,000 Mexican Pesos/2500 USD)
*YOUTH JURY AWARD
B.-) JURY PRIZE FOR BEST MEXICAN FILM (50,000 Mexican Pesos/2500 USD)
*Youth and Audience awards apply to the two competitive sections above.
C).- JURY PRIZE FOR THE BEST MOVIE IN THE RIVER BASIN SECTION (Winner will receive the money collected from a crowdfunding campaign, typically around 20,000 Mexican pesos/1000 USD).
8. The decision of the Jury board is indisputable.
9. Cinema Planeta will not pay ANY fee for the exhibition of Official Competition films.
10. In order to disseminate and raise awareness about environmental issues, Cinema Planeta performs screenings for cultural and educational purposes for schools, universities, festivals, institutions, cultural centers and non-governmental organizations in Mexico and in member countries of our network as well in our Online platform. The selected films will be chosen to be part of a traveling festival in the course of 2019 and early 2020. The organizers of Cinema Planeta will communicate in advance to directors and/or producers and distributors the dates and places of each projection. They will also be considered for inclusion in educational programs for the Online platform or the POP Movement (Protect Our Planet) in Mexico that seeks to inspire young people to collaborate with local solutions to global warming. All screenings Online or during this traveling festival and POP programs will be free of charge to the public.
11. The selected films will be notified by Cinema Planeta´s Programming Department on Thursday, January 31st, 2019.
12. If pending, all the materials and information requested during the submission process should be submitted by Thursday, February 28th, 2019 for selected films. Films with incomplete information and materials will be disqualified.
14. The cost of registration will be: 14USD for international feature films; 10USD for Mexican feature films, 5USD for Cuenca Section, 5USD for international short films and 3USD for Mexican short films.
15. Short films will be accepted in both categories with a duration of less than 45 minutes and although they will not be eligible for prizes, they will be eligible for selection within the program of the festival’s 2019 edition.
For more information or questions: